- Russell Brand has been charged by the Metropolitan Police following allegations that he raped, sexually assaulted and abused multiple women
- The comedian and actor was charged with rape, sexual assault and indecent assault
- He will appear Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London on May 2
Russell Brand is facing charges stemming from multiple rape and sexual assault allegations.
In an April 4 news release, the Metropolitan Police said they had charged Brand, 49, with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault following an investigation by detectives that began in 2023. The charges relate to four women.
The comedian and actor will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London on May 2.
The allegations for which Brand is facing charges include a woman who alleges she was raped in a town in the south of England in 1999, a woman who alleges she was indecently assaulted in London in 2001, a woman who alleges she was orally raped and sexually assaulted in London in 2004 and a woman who alleges she was sexually assaulted in London between 2004 and 2005.
Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, who is leading the investigation, said in a statement, “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers. The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.”
A legal representative for Brand did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.
Russell Brand in 2017. John Lamparski/Getty Images
Five women — four who remained anonymous and one who is 16 years old — previously came forward to accuse Brand in a joint investigation by The Sunday Times, The Times and Channel 4 current affairs show Dispatches in September 2023.
Before the accusations in the investigation by The Times and Channel 4, that are alleged to have taken place between 2006 and 2013, were made public, Brand addressed them in a video posted to social media on Set. 15, 2023, in which he denied them.
Russell Brand. Press Association via AP
“I’ve received two extremely disturbing letters, or a letter and an email, one from a mainstream media TV company, one from a newspaper, listing a litany of extremely egregious and aggressive attacks,” he said. “But amidst this litany of astonishing, rather baroque attacks are some very serious allegations that I absolutely refute.”
He also got further into the timeframe into which the allegations are said to have taken place by stating that “the relationships I had were absolutely, always consensual.”
“I was always transparent about that then — almost too transparent,” he added. “And I’m being transparent about it now as well. And to see that transparency metastasized into something criminal, that I absolutely deny.”
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
Following the allegations, The Times reported that “several women” had contacted the publication since its report. Scotland Yard and the BBC also confirmed to PEOPLE that they were aware of the accusations.
“We spoke with The Sunday Times on 16 September,” said Scotland Yard (the headquarters of the Metropolitan Police) in a statement to PEOPLE while confirming that they “had not received any reports in relation to this.”
“We will be making further approaches to The Sunday Times and Channel 4 to ensure that any victims of crime who they have spoken with are aware of how they may report any criminal allegations to police,” the statement added.
Russell Brand. Lester Cohen/Getty
A BBC spokesperson shared in a statement to PEOPLE: “The documentary and associated reports contained serious allegations, spanning a number of years. Russell Brand worked on BBC radio programmes between 2006 and 2008 and we are urgently looking into the issues raised.”
Channel 4 and Banijay, the new owners of Big Brother’s Big Mouth producers Endemol, have also since reportedly opened investigations into the allegations.
Multiple individuals have also parted ways with the comedian, including his literary agent Tavistock Wood, who confirmed to PEOPLE in a statement that he would no longer represent him. Trevi Women and Children’s Charity UK, who Brand worked with through his Stay Free Foundation, also cut ties.
Russell Brand. MelMedia/Getty
Three stand-up shows that Brand was scheduled to perform as part of his Bipolarisation tour were also postponed following the allegations.
“We are postponing these few remaining addiction charity fundraiser shows, we don’t like doing it — but we know you’ll understand,” the tour’s promoters said in a statement at the time, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, please contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) or go to rainn.org.